COLUMN: Our identity, our tradition

What is in a name?

On paper, it consists of letters and syllables strung together to create a word. But over time, it becomes more than a word. We become familiar with a name, make associations with it, and eventually it takes on a deeper meaning.

It becomes an identity, and in some cases, a tradition.

Central Michigan University adopted the Chippewa name in 1942 – and so began the rich tradition of our institution and our partnership with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian tribe.

As of late, the name has sparked a lot of controversy.

Colleges across the country have switched names for the sake of staying politically correct. Eastern Michigan traded the Huron for an Eagle, and Miami (Ohio) switched from the Redskins to the RedHawks.

But some have clung to their original Native American namesake, including CMU.

We have supported its name in lieu of all the controversy. Some see it as a stubborn, insensitive decision, but I think it has a lot to do with what the name has become in the past 70 years – a learning opportunity.

In 2003, the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe made a formal agreement with CMU. The university uses the tribe’s name, and the tribe educates students about Native American history and culture. Each year, CMU hosts the tribe’s pow-wow in McGuirk Arena.

Some would say tribal mascots depict Native Americans as violent savages. Some say it is derogatory or disrespectful, and it needs to change. I would agree, except for the fact that the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe has supported our name as well.

Besides, the university treats its name with the utmost seriousness and respect. After all, it is our name, and it has become part of our identity.

Also, we really aren’t working with a lot of alternatives in Mount Pleasant.

Let’s face it, diversity is kind of hard to come by around here. It only makes sense to seize every opportunity to expand horizons and work hard to nurture the connections we do have.

It’s easy to change a name on paper, but it’s nearly impossible to change an identity. Especially when it extends to the thousands of different people who are associated with Mount Pleasant.

So what’s in our Chippewa name? A community. A courageous people who fought to uphold their tradition. Bright students and experienced teachers who have built a tradition of making the world a better place. A friendship.

That’s something we should never change.

Related: Check out Katherine Ranzenberger's counterpoint column.