Delta Phi Epsilon to host ‘Be True to You’ week to raise awareness of eating disorders

dphie2

Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.

As part of their philanthropy, the women of Delta Phi Epsilon are working to fight against this statistic by holding their third annual "Be True To You" week, a series of events dedicated to raising awareness and proceeds for the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders.

"This is so important to Delta Phi Epsilon because it spreads awareness all over campus," said Meghann Smith, philanthropy chairwoman and a Utica junior. "One week focuses on one single issue that many people can come together for to raise awareness, proceeds and people's confidence."

The events begin with unlimited salad, pasta and dessert at 7 p.m. on Monday at Wesley Church. Admission is $4 if bought from a member of Delta Phi Epsilon and $5 at the door.

The association Delta Phi Epsilon is raising awareness for is a non-profit corporation that seeks to prevent and eliminate the problems of eating disorders.

To boost the confidence of women and men on campus, a free self-esteem workshop will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the Bovee University Center auditorium, including activities that focus on intrinsic value instead of physical characteristics.

"The goal of the workshop is to remind people how awesome they are," Smith said. "Sometimes it can be hard to remember all the positives about yourself when you hear so much negativity all the time."

On Wednesday, "Deepher Dudes," a makeshift beauty pageant for men, will be held at 7:30 p.m. in Pearce 128. Contestants will compete in several categories, including talent, question and answer, and who has the "Most Fired Up Chip" look. Entrance is $1 at the door.

"Be True To You" week concludes with a candlelight vigil at 6 p.m. Thursday at the CMU seal in front of Warriner Hall to remember those who have been affected by eating disorders and to hear statistics regarding the mental illness.

At every event throughout the week, there will be an opportunity to write an insecurity down and throw it away to "trash your insecurities" and purchase a star for $1, answering the question, "how do you stay true to you?"

"This week represents that we want to be us, no matter what," said Samantha Bolton, fundraising chairwoman and Auburn Hills junior. "'To be' rather than 'to seem to be' has always been our motto."

All events are open to the public and proceeds will be donated to ANAD.

Breakout Box

(Monday, 7 p.m. Wesley Church, unlimited salad, pasta and dessert. $4 admission if bought from sorority. $5 at the door

Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Bovee University Center auditorium, Self-esteem workshop, Free

Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. Pearce 128, "Deepher Dudes" makeshift beauty pageant for men, $1 at the door

Thursday, 6 p.m. CMU seal in front of Warriner Hall, candlelight vigil)

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →