Softball takes first two games of Cardinal Classic

Central Michigan softball won the first two of five games of the Cardinal Classic on Friday in Louisville, Ky. 

The Chippewas beat Northern Kentucky in game one by mercy, 12-2, winning in just five innings. The 12 runs scored doubled their highest offensive output for the season.

The offensive production came in large part from leadoff hitter and sophomore right fielder Evelyn Lorimer, who went 3-3 with a triple, home run, and a walk. Lorimer accounted for seven CMU runs, scoring three herself, and driving in four. 

Junior shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer went 2-3 with a home run, three RBI’s, and two runs scored. Redshirt freshman Michelle Dornan also got her first CMU hit, driving in a run with a pinch-hit double in the third inning.

Northern Kentucky was never close, as CMU scored four runs in the first inning, and led 8-0 by the third. 

Senior pitcher Morgan Yuncker went all five innings for CMU, with two strikeouts. Yunker allowed two earned runs on three hits.

Her record remains a perfect 3-0. 

Central Michigan faced some trouble in the second game against Eastern Kentucky, but the Chippewas came away with a win, 6-5.

Lorimer and Sexauer were standouts in game two, their performances bringing in key runs. Lorimer went 2-4 with two doubles and two runs, while Sexauer went 2 for 3, hitting another home run.

This time the home run meant much more.

With the Chippewas down 5-4 in the bottom of the fifth inning, sophomore second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure led the inning off with a double leaving the tying run in scoring position.

Sexauer then stepped to the plate and gave the Chippewas exactly what they needed, delivering a clutch two-run homer. Sexauer’s homer gave CMU the 6-5 lead for good, as freshman pitcher Rachael Knapp shut down Eastern Kentucky in the sixth and seventh innings.

Knapp, who pitched four innings in relief, closed out the game. In four innings, Knapp put together impressive numbers: One hit, no earned runs, seven strikeouts and no walks.

The performance gave Knapp her second win and Central Michigan a 7-4 record.

CMU will face Eastern Kentucky again Saturday at 10 a.m., followed by University of Louisville at 5:30 p.m.