COLUMN: 'The Boondock Saints' is the unofficial movie of St. Patrick's Day

the-boondockssaints

In recent years, there has been a debate about whether or not “Die Hard” can be considered a Christmas movie because it takes place around Christmas time. Some people have even made watching it into an annual tradition, like putting up the tree and wrapping presents.

If “Die Hard” can double as a Christmas movie, then “The Boondock Saints” is the obvious choice for the official action movie of St. Patrick’s Day.

The film follows Connor and Murphy McManus, a pair of Irish-Americans who decide to become vigilantes to clean up the streets of Boston. With its stylized shootouts and memorable quotes, "The Boondock Saints" became an instant cult classic when it came out in 1999.

What makes a good St. Patrick’s Day movie? Being set on the holiday is a good place to start. It should also feature at least one prominent Irish character and should be more about having a good time than conveying a message.

With those criteria, it's clear that no movie captures the spirit of the holiday like "The Boondock Saints."

One of the opening scenes of the movie finds the brothers drinking with their friends at a pub on St. Patrick’s Day. When they are confronted by a Russian Mafioso, Murphy, played by Norman Reedus, invites him to join them for a drink.

As Murphy puts it, “It’s St. Paddy’s Day. Everyone’s Irish tonight.”

Much like St. Patrick’s Day, “The Boondock Saints” is deeply rooted in Irish-American culture and a celebration of that heritage. The two also share a somewhat loose connection with religion.

There are even some similarities with the plot of the movie and the origin's myth for St. Patrick’s Day. Saint Patrick was said to have driven the snakes out of Ireland. Like a modern-day retelling of the tale, the McManus brothers fight to rid their city of crime.

Some people run into problems with “The Boondock Saints” when they take it too seriously. That's missing the point of the movie.

It is not trying to be anything other than an entertaining vigilante movie. In the end, it's a fun bit of escapism.

It's exactly what St. Patrick’s Day is all about.