Poor pitching hurts softball in loss to Ohio

Central Michigan softball dropped  its Mid-American Conference opener Saturday, 5-3 to Ohio University.  In colder weather, the Chippewas managed only four hits, (all singles) with two coming in the final inning.

Junior shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer had the best day at the plate for CMU, going 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI.  Junior third baseman Trista Cox went 1-for-3 with a walk and an RBI.  Sophomore second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure also went 1-for-3 with a single.

Ohio starting pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitched a complete game, allowing just one earned run while striking out ten.

CMU started senior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg, who went two and two thirds innings, allowing four earned runs on six hits.

“I thought Sundberg was pretty good in the beginning, but then her pitches began to flatten out a little bit” said head coach Margo Jonker.  “I thought Knapp was at times good, and then at times not so good.  We didn’t have a great performance from either of our pitchers today.”

The women will play Ohio again at home tomorrow, with the first pitch scheduled for 1:00 p.m.

“Tomorrow we need to play Chippewas softball," Jonker said. " We need to take charge of our home field from the first pitch of the game, which is something we didn’t do today.”