Softball splits weekend series with Ohio

mt_softball02

Central Michigan softball used the long ball and a quality pitching performance to finish the weekend on a positive note Sunday, topping Ohio 5-0.

Junior shortstop Carolann Sexauer went 2-for-2, putting CMU on the board with a two-run homer in the second inning.  She hit a combined 4-for-5 during the weekend series with Ohio.

“I was just trying to focus on staying in the present,” Sexauer said. “Being able to focus, not on myself, but on the ball is what worked for me.”

Senior pitcher Morgan Yuncker pitched a complete game, allowing four hits while striking out four batters.

Sophomore second baseman Chelsea Delamielleure added to the Chippewas lead with a two-run homer of her own, putting CMU up 4-0 in the third inning.

The final run of the weekend came in the sixth inning when Senior catcher Cory Delamielleure hit a solo bomb to put Sunday’s game away.

The win gave CMU (18-10, 1-1 in MAC) a weekend split, after a 5-3 loss to the Bobcats on Saturday.

“The atmosphere that the team played with today was more similar to the way we’ve been playing all year,” said head coach Margo Jonker after Sunday’s game.

Jonker called Yuncker’s outing,  “probably the best of her career.”

“Without our offense playing the way it did, I don’t get going as much,” Yuncker said. “The way our defense played definitely had an impact on me.”

CMU committed no errors on Sunday.

The Chippewas next game is Wednesday at home against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne.  CMU continues its MAC season next weekend in Ypsilanti against Eastern Michigan.