CMU beats MSU for first time since 2011

Two days after its Mid-American Conference eight-game winning streak was snapped, another eight-game streak for the baseball program was broken.

Central Michigan traveled to East Lansing Tuesday and beat Michigan State, 10-1. It was the first win against the in-state rival since 2011.

"Offensively, we just were able to put enough pressure on them," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "They helped us a little bit today. I think they probably felt defensively they didn't play as well as they could have, but, nonetheless, when you only give up one run, you're going to probably win that game."

The Spartans defense kept the innings alive with eight errors on the day. Out of the 10 CMU runs, only three were earned as a result of poor defense from the host team.

Two errors in the seventh inning, along with a catcher's interference call, helped the team score three runs in the inning, none of which were earned.

Two more errors in the fifth inning allowed two more runs to cross for the Chippewas as sophomore designated hitter Zack Fields hit a double, allowing redshirt freshman Alex Borglin to advance to third and score on a Spartans throwing error. Fields followed when an error allowed sophomore shortstop Morgan Oliver to reach first safely.

CMU put up three more runs in the top of the ninth with only one hit in the inning.

While MSU was allowing CMU to put points on the scoreboard, sophomore left-handed pitcher Adam Aldred was putting up zeros.

"I felt good, I knew what I wanted to do and it was working in the bullpen (and) I was able to carry it onto the field," Aldred said. "Everyone was playing well behind me. We were getting guys on base and making things happen."

Aldred pitched 6 1/3 innings, allowing seven hits and one run on a home run in the sixth inning. It was a good chance for revenge against MSU for Aldred. His last start last season was a 10-0 loss in Mount Pleasant.

"I think we did a real nice job defensively," Jaksa said. "I thought Adam Aldred did a great job pitching the game. We closed out very nicely. I'm very pleased with how Jason (Gamble) came in."

Tuesday was the first of a three-game series with the Spartans. Game two will be at 3:05 p.m. on April 26 at Theunissen Stadium and will finish with a 7:05 p.m. game on May 13 at Comerica Park in Detroit.

The team will return for a 3:05 p.m. matchup today against Oakland at Theunissen Stadium. Redshirt freshman Blake Hibbitts will start the game.