Nick Deeg knocked around in 11-3 beating, baseball's first MAC loss

gc-baseballvsbuffalo57
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Players congratulate each other Saturday afternoon at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas defeated Buffalo in a doubleheader on Saturday before losing their first MAC game of the season Sunday.

Central Michigan starting pitcher Nick Deeg never felt comfortable on the mound Sunday afternoon against Buffalo.

He was lit up, hit after hit, run after run Sunday in CMU’s first Mid-American Conference loss to Buffalo, 11-3. Deeg pitched four innings, giving up nine hits while allowing six runs – five of them being earned.

CMU head coach Steve Jaksa believed it was the little things that bothered a usually effective Deeg.

“When the game started, he wasn’t as comfortable with his stuff,” Jaksa said. “He let that bother him and he never got into a flow. He couldn’t throw his breaking ball or his change-up early in the game. You have to trust what you have. If you’re not committed to what you’re doing, then you aren’t committed to having success.”

Still, Jaksa said he is not worried about the freshman's future.

“This wasn’t a game we gave away,” Jaksa said. “They earned it. They did what they needed to do and we will learn from it. This was the only game where we saw this from Nick and I don’t think you will see it again. I think he is a good learner and understands who he is."

Buffalo’s four and five hitters destroyed CMU with a combined 10 RBI.

Bulls’ third baseman Tyler Mautner did most of the damage, finishing the game with four hits, one run and four RBI.

All 11 of Buffalo’s runs were scored with two outs.

“We didn’t get it,” Jaksa said. “We had been getting it all year. Nick didn’t get it and when he went out, they scored all their runs on two outs as well. We weren’t effective enough to put a stop to it. Give them credit too, for battling back, but we would like to think most times we would get right back in and do a good job of getting that third out.”

In 2005, the CMU baseball team won 15 consecutive conference games, something Jaksa commented on.

“We are looking to start another streak like that right now.” he said.