Greek Week starts Sunday, ends Friday with mock rock

0chvuths-copy

As spring approaches, fraternities and sororities at Central Michigan University get ready for one of their most anticipated events of the year: Greek Week.

Scott Courter II, a program assistant for Greek Life, in the Office of Student Activities and Involvement, said this year's chosen philanthropy is Special Olympics.

"Greek Week is our big philanthropy week," Courter said. "The entire Greek community comes together to raise money and awareness, and we get to have fun along the way."

Special Olympics offers year-round sports training and competition in Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.

Events for Greek Week 2014 begin Sunday. Election signs promoting Greek Week and Mock Rock are being created to hang up around campus.

There will be an all-Greek photo in McGuirk Arena at 6 p.m. on opening day.

Penny Wars, the main fundraiser for the week, also begins Sunday. All pennies collected are positive points, while all dollars and other coins collected are negative points.

On Monday, there will be a Special Olympics keynote athletic speaker at 7 p.m. in Plachta Auditorium.

Tuesday’s event will be "academic games" at 7 p.m. in Plachta Auditorium.

Courter said the games played will be much like "The Newlywed Game," where paired fraternities and sororities have to correctly answer questions about their partner's organization.

Greeks will challenge each other's athletic prowess during the athletic games at 6 p.m. Wednesday in McGuirk Arena, and finish off the week on Friday with the long-awaited mock rock at 6 p.m. in McGuirk Arena.

All events are completely open to the public, and everyone is invited to come watch the Greeks compete.

"I'm very excited for Greek Week," said Thomas Arsenault, a Trenton junior and Kappa Sigma brother. "I participated last year, but I plan on being more involved this year. What matters most for me about the week is the philanthropy. I've always been a big believer in Special Olympics"