Poster exhibit shows effects and dangers of nuclear weapons

japan-flag-map

Today is the final day the poster presentation regarding effects the 1945 American atomic bomb attacks had on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan will be on display on the first floor of Anspach Hall.

“A Revolution of Thought: Hiroshima, Nagasaki & the Pursuit of Peace” features 30 different posters throughout the exhibit. Each covers a different topic about the atomic bombings during World War II, including the histories of both Nagasaki and Hiroshima as well as a call for peace and nuclear weapons prevention.

On August 6th,1945 the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima and by December approximately 140,000 people had died either from immediate impact or radiation.

Three days later, Nagasaki was hit with an atomic bomb, killing approximately 74,000 by December 1945.

The effects the bombing had on the two cities are illustrated through the use of the posters which feature photos and other information which show some of the effects and other history.

A goal of the exhibit was to inform people the horrific nature of the bombings and the importance of a world without such destructive weapons.

“We will continue to communicate the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, until we achieve a peaceful world without nuclear weapons because we do not want you to experience our tragedy,” one poster read.

The display is sponsored by the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences as well as the Center for Professional and Personal Ethics. The education exhibit is a gift from the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum in Hiroshima, Japan.