Softball begins road series at MSU

b5-softballpreview1
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Freshman pitcher Rachael Knapp launches a ball to a batter in their game against Western at Margo Jonker Stadium on Sunday.

Central Michigan softball said farewell to their home field for the remainder of the season last weekend.

The Chippewas are set to meet interstate foe Michigan State at 5 p.m. on Wednesday at Secchia Stadium in East Lansing. It will be the first of nine games on the road.

The last time the Chippewas met the Spartans was in 2013 at Margo Jonker Stadium during the Indiana Invitational, resulting in a 3-0 win for CMU. In 2012, Central Michigan fell to MSU, 6-1.

"If we show up and play our game the way we know how to play, then I think it will still be a great game," said senior outfielder Lauren Bowman. "I think if we show up knowing that we are going to win, then we play a lot better."

CMU stands 0-3 against Big Ten Conference opponents this season. MSU won its last Mid-American Conference game, beating Eastern Michigan April 16 on a lone homer in the bottom of the sixth inning.

CMU perceives this game as just another team with a name on their jersey, ignoring the in-state rivalry.

Senior Chelsea Sundberg said the team needs to stay consistent with their play on offense and defense, instead of focusing on the play of their opponent.

On Monday, the Big Ten Conference awarded MSU senior pitcher Kelly Smith Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after her weekend performance. During their game against the Eagles, Smith did not allow a hit – MSU's 20th no-hitter in program history.

The Spartans stand 13-29 overall, ranking 10th in the Big Ten.

The teams' coaches have past history with one another. MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph, a 1985 CMU graduate, was admitted into CMU's Athletic Hall of Fame last fall. She was part of the 1982 AIAW World Series as well as a CMU softball player, once coached by head coach Margo Jonker, who is in her 35th season.

The Chippewas are 28-15 and stand second in the MAC, two games behind Ball State.

Following the mid-week game, CMU will travel to Bowling Green to meet for a double-header on Friday.