Students, musicians team up to provide shoes for underprivileged children

toms

Local musicians and bands played to a crowded house at Hunter's Ale House during a benefit concert for disadvantaged children Friday night.

The fourth annual TOMS Fundraising Concert was put on by the TOMS Shoes registered student organization. The event raised more than $300, which will provide shoes to patients at a children's hospital.

The registered student organization is dedicated to promoting and contributing to the charitable efforts of the company TOMS Shoes. TOMS donates a pair of shoes to the less fortunate for every pair that is bought.

"We all think it's a good cause that more people should know about," said Lowell junior Brianne Warren. "This show is great because it raises awareness and everyone gets to have fun."

The concert kicked off with a performance by two acoustic guitarists, Rochester Hills senior Taylor Ernst and Harbor Beach senior Chelsie Pysklo. Ernst, who played on stage for the first time at last year's concert, returned for his second public performance with a new set list.

"I think the show went great," Ernst said. "It's good to see so many people coming out to support the cause."

The last act of the night was Marc Summerz and the Double Darez. The band played covers of hit '90s songs like "I Just Wanna Fly" by Sugar Ray and "How Bizarre" by OMC.

A fan of TOMS shoes, Mount Pleasant resident Emily Myers came to the show after seeing it advertised on Facebook.

"I think a show like this is a brilliant way to raise money in a college town," Myers said. "They picked a really good location for it, too."

On April 29, the RSO plans to participate in One Day Without Shoes, a national event hosted by TOMS. They will walk barefoot throughout the day to draw attention to those who cannot afford shoes.