Timely Chippewa hitting sparks road victory over MSU 6-4

b4-softball1
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Sophomore outfielder Evelyn Lorimer throws back an outfield hit Wednesday at Margo Yonker Stadium. The Chippewas faced off against a nationally ranked Michigan team and lost, 11-0.

In the past week Margo Jonker's team has not taken an inning for granted and Friday afternoon was no different.

Playing on the road against a sub .500 Michigan State team at Secchia Stadium, CMU inched out a victory against their in-state opponents by final score of 6-4.  On the mound for CMU was senior Morgan Yuncker, who pitched a complete game and earned her ninth win of the season in the process.

The senior from Beal City gave up six hits, four runs, including three earned  and struck out two batters in the win.

The Chippewas trailed early until sophomore second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure hit a two-run home run in the top of the fourth, giving CMU a brief lead. After giving back those two runs the Chippewas and Spartans were tied at four going into the seventh inning.

It did not stay a tie ball game for long.

After a base hit and a defensive lapse by MSU, senior catcher Corey DeLamielleure hit a sacrifice fly putting her team up by a run. This was followed by an RBI single by third baseman Trista Cox to pad her batting average at .356 and put CMU up for good and secure the win on the road.

"There was an error made (in the seventh) but it was on a hard hit ball, " Jonker said.  "I liked the way we approached our at-bats today and it got us the win."

The Chippewas are now 29-15 on the season including a 7-5 record in Mid-American Conference play.  They will stay on the road and take on Bowling Green for a double-header on Friday afternoon.

First pitch for game one is set for 1 p.m.