CMEDHonors to launch in spring 2015, aims to bring honors students into medical programs

Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine will take in 20 honors scholar students with the hope of getting them into medical programs offered by the university.

CMEDHonors, a new assurance program expected to launch in 2015, will select the honors students to train them in the CMED construct.

Director of Admissions Chris Austin said in a press release the program will help students prepare for the medical field.

“This is a great opportunity for honors students to learn more about the medical field, CMED and life as a medical student,” Austin said. “It also is a way for CMED to form a stronger bridge with CMU to our undergraduate programs.”

The program will choose CMEDHonors freshman students to work with a medical school mentor, who will help that student learn more about the medical school. Before each student’s senior year, a maximum of five students will be chosen for an early assurance of admission to CMED.

To qualify, CMEDHonors students have to take the Medical College Admissions Test before May of their junior year and earn at least a score of 24 to be considered. Students must also complete a CMED application, which will be available in the fall 2014 semester.