Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity to host charity golf outing in memory of CMU student

MarkatosFamily1

Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity is honoring the memory of Central Michigan University student Kelly Markatos with a charity golf outing and fundraiser scheduled for July 11.

Markatos, from Holland, died in September 2013 from probable complications of bulimia. She had just finished a public relations internship with Lakeshore Habitat in summer 2013, working with the organization to provide affordable housing to low-income families in Ottawa and Allegan counties.

Kelly's mother and father, Lori and John Markatos, are coordinating with Lakeshore Habitat to host the Kelly’s Home 1st Annual Charity Golf Outing at The Ravines Golf Club in Saugatuck. In her name, the Markatos family is attempting to raise $40,000 to build a "Kelly's Home" project for a local family.

“She always cared about people’s problems and their happiness,” Lori told Central Michigan Life in January. “She always felt sorry for people who didn’t have money and didn’t have a home. She was that way since she was a little kid.”

Teams of four can enter for $800, $400 for teams of two. Teams can register online or on the day of the event starting at 7 a.m.

Included with the ticket is a voucher for 18 holes of golf with the use of a cart, a player gift package, access to the course's practice facility, two meals with beverages, and other contest opportunities. 

Since 1990, the faith-based organization has impacted around 150 families, selling the homes built through the program to qualified low-income homeowners using affordable mortgages. 

The organization is still seeking event and specialty sponsors, as well as donations of raffle prizes for the event. Sponsorship opportunities range from $200-$5,000 with varying perks.

To support the Kelly’s Home Golf Outing and memorial build, visit http://www.lakeshorehabitat.org.