Seniors struggle to see life after college

By Sydney Smith

Staff Reporter 

Stepping out of the college lifestyle and into the real world can be a source of excitement and terror for Central Michigan University seniors. 

Seniors are forced to make crucial, life-altering decisions, while leaving their old lives at CMU behind. While throwing themselves into the unknown may be exhilarating for some, the real world poses a daunting threat to others. 

"I'm nervous about actually being able to find a good 'big girl' job, especially one in the department I want," Utica senior Meghan Smith said. "I'm also nervous about where that job may be."

The nervousness for what is to come can cause denial among those soon to graduate. Fear of losing connections with friends and not being around a constant support system can make it difficult to accept the nearness of graduation.

"The biggest emotion I feel is sadness," Smith said. "I'll be leaving a place that has become home for the last four years, and I won't be able to see people who have become my family every day. The greatest years of my life flew by without my approval."

For some students, life changes come with the fear that something will fall through.

"I'm currently going through the Chicago Police testing process, which would pay for me to go to graduate school," Illinois junior Melissa Nowak said. "Now I'm torn between going through graduate school or waiting a bit, because I'm at the point in testing where I'm waiting on my lottery number. I could get a call tomorrow, or I could get a call three years from now."

Although the future looks uncertain, some students feel comfort in knowing that after college, they can devote their time to almost anything.

"I can't wait to see what my future has in store for me because I think the future has so much to offer," Nowak said. "I worked extremely hard throughout my academic career here, and it's intriguing to see it all unfold in front of me. I still can't believe graduation is right around the corner."

As excited as some may be to graduate, some students find themselves looking back on their time at CMU wishing they had done a few things differently.

"If I could start college over I would have gotten involved right away freshman year," Howell senior Rebecca Miner said. "I procrastinated joining clubs and my best memories have been from the things I'm involved in now."

No matter what emotion students feel about graduation, it is an inevitable part of life. 

"Up until this point everything I have ever done has been in preparation for this moment," Miner said. "It's scary, yes. But if it doesn't scare you a little bit your dream is not big enough."

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →