Soccer struggles to scoreless draw with Detroit

Goalkeeper Maddy Bunnell recorded her first clean sheet of the season against Detroit while the Central Michigan University soccer team struggled to a 0-0 draw with the Titans Sunday afternoon.

The Chippewas now sit at 0-2-1 on the season.

Head coach Peter McGahey said he was impressed with the team’s performance in extra time, despite the anticlimactic result of Sunday’s match.

“To come out and get a point against a respectable Detroit team is never easy,” McGahey said. “The game felt manageable and controllable today. Early in the season you have to find the positives. We created enough chances that we could have taken three points today. But to be fair, you also have to look and see we didn’t give the game away.”

Bunnell faced six shots during her shutout. The Chippewas were outscored 7-to-2 through their first two matches of the season.

The CMU attack improved to a season-high 11 shots against Detroit, three of which were on goal.

Senior forward Laura Gosse had the best chance of breaking the deadlock in the 51st minute, when her shot ricocheted off the post.

“Gosse did a really good job of getting her into positions to score,” McGahey said. “When you play the position she does, sometimes it goes in and sometimes it doesn’t.”

McGahey said agility is something the Chippewas are considering one of their primary strengths, through the first two weeks of the regular season.

“We were able to apply our speed into the game, which I thought was really good,” he said. “We caught Detroit out a couple of times and created some really good rhythmic attacks.”

The Chippewas will prepare this week for Oakland University, which they play at 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Read Wednesday’s Central Michigan Life for more coverage of the CMU women’s soccer team.