StudyRoom app connects students, improves study habits

studyroom_01
The StudyRoom app allows you to share files such as notes, study guides and other resources with classmates to make studying easier.

A new smart phone app could make studying for exams and connecting with others on campus much easier for Central Michigan University students.

"StudyRoom" is intended to make classes for students more social. This new  app allows students to connect with classmates and help one another with notes, studying and homework problems.

Students can sign up for StudyRoom via email or Facebook after downloading the app. From there, they can update and change their own personal profile including connecting to social media, adding a photo, age, gender, languages and what subject they are currently studying.

After signing up, students are prompted to enter the university they are attending and add classes they are enrolled in. From there, they can connect online with fellow classmates by inviting them to join.

StudyRoom allows students to post notes, previous exams and other resources to share. The app can also search through hashtags and posts for more information regarding the subject they are studying to seek extra help. They can also create events for future study groups and post homework questions to get extra assistance.

“I think it (StudyRoom) sounds really awesome,” said Saginaw junior Samantha Carey. “I’ve gotten a few requests for it already. I’ll probably check it out.”

Messages can also be sent between students to get one-on-one help and support. Students can also be notified when questions are answered or when they have new messages by turning on notification settings.

If a student is unable to attend class, StudyRoom is great for acquiring the missed material from classmates. Posting questions anonymously is another option for students in case they do not feel comfortable sharing.

“The app will be really good for asking questions that I’m too embarrassed to ask the professor in class,” Carey said. “Sounds bad, but it’s true. This will also be good for connecting with other students in my classes.”StudyRoom rewards users with ‘reputation points’ for activity such as sharing resources, posting notes, organizing study groups to join and inviting other classmates. Reputation points indicate how great a student is on the StudyRoom app. These points can earn students badges such as “student of the week.”

The student of the week is automatically selected based off of activity on course pages. Sharing more information and resources gives students a better chance at becoming student of the week.

Students can also connect with users specifically from CMU on the university’s page. This is where students can ask for help and advice with classes, sell textbooks and post about university events.

The app can be downloaded for free on any Android or Apple smartphone or tablet from the app store. StudyRoom can also be accessed on desktop at www.getstudyroom.com.