Soccer making late push for MAC Tourney with pair of wins

soccer
Sophomore midfielder Samantha Maher, center, hugs senior forward Laura Gosse, left, and freshman midfielder Jamie Rademacher, right, after Gosse scores a goal during the Chippewas

Goalkeeper Heather Laeufer recorded two clean sheets as the Central Michigan University soccer team kept pace in the tightening Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship race this weekend.

The Chippewas defeated Ohio 3-0 Friday before heading to Kent, Ohio and knocking off the Golden Flashes 1-0 Sunday.

The Chippewas are on a three match winning streak for the first time this season, and have outscored their opponents 7-0 during that span.

"We always said we were going to run the race until the end,” said head coach Peter McGahey. "We have been able to do our part so far. But we still have to stay focused until we’ve completed the race."

The women appear to be hitting their stride on both sides of the ball at the most crucial times.

Laeufer has been a rock for CMU between the pipes. The goalkeeper faced 23 shots and made seven saves during CMU’s two most recent matches.

After starting the season as a backup, Laeufer has been good for four clean sheets in six starts.

The Chippewas’ seniors have stepped up as their final season comes to a close.

Forward Laura Gosse netted two goals against Ohio bringing her season total to eight. She became the fifth leading goal scorer in program history with the 21st of her career.

The passing of sophomore Samantha Maher was spot-on during the weekend. She scored her first points of the season by assisting on two goals.

"Our good play is a testament to our ability to stay consistent,” McGahey said. “We have kept our composure and now everything seems to be coming together.”

CMU currently sits one point outside the final MAC West tournament spot, which is currently occupied by Western Michigan.

The Chippewas will need a win against Toledo this Thursday and against the Broncos to qualify for the postseason tournament.

“We just need to take care of our business on Thursday,” McGahey said. “We can’t succeed unless we take all three points.”