Catching up with the Coaches

coaches
Coach Keno Davis, left, and Coach Sue Guevara, right.

Men’s basketball coach Keno Davis and women’s basketball coach Sue Guevara share at least one thing ­– a deep passion for Central Michigan University basketball.

Central Michigan Life posed the same questions to Davis and Guevara, whose offices sit right across from one another in the Rose Center.

What do you enjoy about coaching basketball? 

Guevara: There are lot of different ways to play the game. I’m an old dog learning new tricks all the time. I’m constantly learning from other coaches, not just basketball coaches but coaches in general.

Davis: The number of players that you have. One player or two players can make a huge difference as you move a program forward. It makes basketball really unique.

What are some characteristics of an elite basketball player?

Guevara: High IQ. Those are the kids that really watch the game. They see a move that someone else has done and try to emulate it. They get into the gym on their own. They tend to be pretty goal-oriented people.

Davis: The great ones have the desire to compete and to win. We are looking for that guy that when he loses, it really bothers him. That’s a characteristic that carries over from sports into life.

What is more exciting for you as a coach: A high flying guard or a dominating and physical six-foot forward?

Guevera: I love to see a smart point guard. Someone that understands time and score. Someone that can take command of the floor. I think that’s a reflection of the coach, more than anything else.

Davis: I just like a player with what we call a high motor. That’s No. 1. I like the guys that are versatile and can really spread the defense. That’s the way basketball is evolving … the spread game. Every player we get here has a focus and an idea. I tell them you have to spread the court and defend to be successful.

What is the thing that frustrates a basketball coach more than anything else?

Guevara: Giving up an offensive rebound on a free throw. You have the inside position. It drives me out of my mind. Someone just beat you to the ball. Two turnovers in a row make me nuts, too.

Davis: What frustrates me is the same thing that would frustrate fans. When you look out there and you see someone playing and you can tell they don’t want it as much as you do as a fan or a coach. I can live with mental mistakes and bad luck and a lot of things. If you see players really making an effort though, that’s where you know better things are on the horizon.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?

Guevara: A player like Kerby Tamm is the reason I coach. To watch the maturing of someone like Kerby and see the lessons my players learn both on and off the court. I love that.

Davis: The most rewarding thing for me as a coach is to try to have a positive influence on the lives of the student athletes that I get to interact with on a daily basis. I’m very fortunate to not only have a position to be able to do that at Central Michigan, but I’ve got an incredible group of student athletes that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

What is McGuirk Arena like when it is at its loudest possible volume?

Guevara: That’s more for our players than it is for me. It makes a huge difference when teams are at the free-throw line. Educating the student body about women’s basketball is important.

Davis: We’ve got a ways to go. Because of the lack of success here in the past, we are not at a position with our fan base where we need to be. We know when we win that people will show up and it will be a great atmosphere. The more we win, it will speed up that progress.

What is your relationship like with the other varsity basketball coach at CMU?

Guevara: I love our men’s staff.We are a basketball family, and we are going to support each other that way.

Davis: Our relationship is probably as close as any other men’s and women’s combo in the country. They are really good people and obviously really good coaches. As coaches you are always learning. The recruiting trips and fundraising and marketing, we collaborate on all of these things. Coach G and her staff are a great resource to have.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →