Winterization underway for Biosciences Building construction

construction_update_dn

Construction on the Biosciences Building continues a week after classes end and students leave campus for winter break, Friday Dec. 19. 

As a result of Clark Construction Company's work during the winter months, the $95 million Biosciences Building stands at 15 percent of concrete completion.

Stephen Lawrence, vice president of Facilities Management, said that although the dropping temperatures would not pose a threat to the construction site, cold weather concreting practices set by the American Concrete Institute (AIC) must still be followed.

“(The) concrete placed during cold weather will develop sufficient strength and durability to satisfy intended service requirements when it is properly produced, placed and protected,” Lawrence said.

The AIC defines cold weather as “A period for more than three consecutive days the average daily outdoor temperature drops 40 degrees (Fahrenheit),” or “When the temperature falls below 40 degrees during the protection period.”

As a result, the concrete used for the project must be cared for differently to prevent cracking and breaking.

The process includes mixing the concrete with warm water and heated sand and gravel. Added cold weather resistant chemicals in the mix will ensure concrete for the project will be temperature resistant.

Sam Clark, president of Clark Construction Company, said since their partnership with MIOSHA two weeks ago, the company is preforming up to safety and efficiency standards.

Safety of the workers, he said, is the company’s number one concern.

“(With the winter) you have ice, you have cold weather situations, and you want to make people stay warm,” Clark said. “Primarily it’s the cold weather and the ice that (we) have to be careful of.”

When asked how the company planned on keeping their workers safe from the cold this holiday season, Clark referenced the company’s B.R.A.V.O code, which would make workers aware of potential safety hazards on the job.

The company aims for a zero accident policy for the duration of the construction.

Facilities Management had their plate full as well this week when a chilled waterline leak had to be repaired. Lawrence confirmed that the cost of repairs, totaling $160,000, did not affect the Biosciences Building in any way.

“(The leak) really didn’t affect the Biosciences Building at all, it just that it was nearby,” Lawrence said. “The Biosciences project is not paying for that repair (as) it’s not a Biosciences issue.”

The repair, Lawrence stated, is being done by deferred maintenance.

As of now, the Biosciences building is set to be completed in September of 2016 and open for classes in January of 2017.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →