CMED finalist withdraws from search

cmed

Central Michigan University's College of Medicine sits adjacent to the College of Health Care Professions, on the east side of campus. 

Michael Iannuzzi, chair of medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University, and a finalist in the search for the next dean of Central Michigan University's College of Medicine withdrew from the search Tuesday.

In a press release that was released today, Iannuzzi will no longer be in consideration for the next leader of CMED.

Iannuzzi was one of four candidates being interviewed to replace founding CMED dean Ernest Yoder. Yoder announced his resignation in June after four years with CMU. Linda Perkowski, who joined the College of Medicine in 2011, is serving as interim dean.

The candidates were chosen according to their ability to meet qualifications and agree with the values of the college and its mission to provide health care to rural areas in Michigan.

CMED has inducted two classes and will accept its third class after April 30. The next dean will have to finish the curriculum for fourth year students as well as develop and maintain key relationships with practices in Michigan.

Iannuzzi had an on-campus forum scheduled for today at 2:30 p.m., but has that has been cancelled. The other finalists, Klea Bertakis, James Herman and George Kikano, have visited on-campus and Saginaw forums.