Men's basketball dominates Eastern Michigan, stays unbeaten at home

img_8765

Junior guard RayShawn Simmons drives to the net during the CMU men's basketball team's win over Eastern Michigan on Saturday at McGuirk Arena.

In front of a crowd of more than 4,000 people, the Central Michigan University men's basketball team stayed undefeated at home with a 65-51 thrashing of Eastern Michigan University on Saturday at McGuirk Arena. 

The Chippewas improved to 14-3 overall and 4-2 in Mid-American Conference competition with the win. Eleven consecutive home victories is the best start in its own gym the program has had since 1986. 

In a low-scoring contest, CMU used its defense to smother the Eagles.

“We’ve shown this that we’ve been able to win in a number of ways,” Head Coach Keno Davis said. “I want to acknowledge that 1-5 record in front of Eastern Michigan. That doesn’t tell the story. They could be exactly where we’re sitting. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turned their season around."

Davis was appreciative of the showing CMU basketball fans made on Saturday. 

“It’s our goal for that crowd you saw tonight to be a common occurrence,” he said. “If it is, it’s going to allow you to win a few more games a year.”

The CMU defense limited the Eagles to two assists and a measly 30.5 shooting percentage from the field. CMU used an impressive 47.1 shooting percentage from 3-point range to grab control of the game early. 

“We didn’t make a lot of our threes like we usually do,” junior guard Chris Fowler said. “We made timely ones-ones that mattered.”

CMU junior forward John Simons scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, while Fowler managed to put up 13 points in the win. 

Fowler also went 3-of-5 from the free-throw line.

Freshman guard Luke Meyer had seven rebounds, helping CMU outrebound the Eagles by a margin of 45-38.

“We’re going to play for each other and take care of each other no matter what is going on,” said Fowler.

CMU will next face Kent State University at 7 p.m. on Jan. 27.