No charges filed in Hartnett death investigation

bodyfound_tw_01
Taryn Wattles | Assistant Photo Editor CMU Police recover a body from the Fabiano Botanical Garden Pond Sunday. Police identified Michael Anthony Hartnett as the deceased later that night.

No charges will be filed in the death of the 18-year-old Dearborn Heights man who was found in the Fabiano Botanical Garden pond Oct. 5, according to the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney's office.

Central Michigan Life submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the country prosecutor Tuesday to obtain details of the investigation conducted by the Central Michigan Police Department. Police Chief Bill Yeagley said surveillance footage of Hartnett shows the route he walked on campus before reaching the pond.

The medical examiner determined Michael Hartnett drowned after becoming submerged in the pond "while intoxicated in cold weather." CMUPD reported that Hartnett consumed beer and liquor at various locations near campus on Oct. 3, 2014 and throughout Oct. 4, 2014.“Words cannot describe the continued heartache we feel for the parents, family and friends of Michael Hartnett,” said President George Ross in a press release. “Michael’s death was a tragic loss."

Hartnett visited CMU during Homecoming Weekend to spend time with friends. He was last seen walking on Washington Street near St. Mary’s church on campus at 2 a.m. Oct. 5, 2014.

“Excessive consumption of alcohol is a serious issue at universities across the nation," Ross said. "There’s no easy answer, no quick fix. This case highlights not only Michael’s tragedy, but the sad and overwhelming impact on those left behind, including his friends and others who were with him throughout the weekend.”

Central Michigan Life will continue to follow this story as new information becomes available.