COLUMN: Let's talk about sex

lets_talk_about_sex

Here's a question: What is one major aspect of college life that Central Michigan Life is not currently addressing in any of its content?

Sex. 

Let's talk about it. Let's not continue to ignore an aspect of social life that pertains to such a large portion of our student body. 

Central Michigan Life published a sex column in the past. One of my goals as the Voices Editor has been to bring it back. 

Whether you're having it, saving it, wishing you had more of it or realizing you don't know that much about it, sex is a topic that is relevant to all students in one way or another.

This sex column, which will appear in the paper every other Wednesday, will first and foremost seek to educate. 

According to a 2009 study conducted by Guttmacher Institute, over half of men and a quarter of women surveyed aged 18 to 29 had inadequate knowledge about contraception. This statistic alone is enough to substantiate a call for more discussion and education when it comes to sex among young adults.

Columns will first be based in research and fact before being expanded upon by our columnists. Contributions from Ashlea Phenicie, president and public relations chair of Voices for Planned Parenthood, and Lori Wangberg, health educator at Central Michigan University Health Services, will help make the content of this column that which you can rely on.

Rather than a "Dear Abby" format, in which readers write to us for advice, this column will address a new topic each issue ranging from basic sex education and navigating sexual heath issues to relationship dynamics and large scale sexual issues in society.

I hope this column challenges and intrigues you with its content. Promoting deeper thought on a subject is the purpose of any column. This one will be no different. 

Perhaps you've wondered if there might be a better way to navigate a long distance relationship, or you were intrigued by the discussion of sexual practices in foreign countries in one of your classes. These topics and more will be addressed by our writers and presented to you in a way that both academically informs and provokes further thought and consideration.

To suggest a potential topic for our sex column, email ideas to voices@cm-life.com