Veteran gives back to ROTC, speaks to students

Keynote speaker Terence Moore addressed students about the importance of ROTC members in the Library Auditorium on January 21st.

Former Central Michigan University ROTC member Terence F. Moore looked into the crowd of students and said his success in the military or his medical career would not have been possible without going through the ROTC program at Central Michigan University.

“When you’ve been around as long as I have, you’re going to see a lot of people who have been given a lot of gifts,” Moore said. “The choices you make are going to be worth more than the gifts you get, and being in the ROTC is the right choice.”

In addition to sharing how the ROTC program at CMU helped him throughout his life as part of the William B. Node Lecture Series, Moore presented the Senior Cadet Leadership with $1,000 in the Park Library Auditorium at 5:30 p.m. His only request was that it be used this semester in a way that would benefit all of the cadets.

“I just want you to know how much respect I have for you,” Moore said, speaking to the ROTC cadets in the crowd. “I have as much respect for you as I do the other soldiers in the U.S. army and the other military forces.”

Moore served as a paratrooper in the army with the Chemical Warfare Corps and was a Chemical Warfare officer. After his service he completed his Master’s Degree from CMU and another Master’s Degree from Washington University School of Medicine before eventually becoming the CEO of MidMichigan health, and president of that organization.

“I know where our future leaders are coming from—they’re coming from people in this room. They’re coming from people in your ranks,” Moore said.

University President George Ross and his wife, Elizabeth, were in attendance. Moore acknowledged them, and said they are also great examples of leaders.

“It’s always important for students and students in other fields to hear a speaker like this,” President George Ross said. “He sat in the seats they are sitting in today.”

Moore recalled the pivotal decision to go into advanced ROTC at the end of his sophomore year at CMU.

“None of this would have happened had I not been through this program,” Moore said. “I’m very proud to have been one of you.”

Moore attributed most of his success in his career to his service in the army. Most of the people in power who gave him opportunities in school and in the medical world were past military members, he said.

“It was different than most of the lectures I’ve been too,” said Birmingham junior Keith McAllister. “It was directed more toward the cadets.”

Moore made sure to introduce himself and sincerely thank the majority of the crowd who were members of the ROTC program for their dedication to the becoming leaders in the military or otherwise.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →