Mock trial enables students to gain real world courtroom experience

Members of Phi Alpha Delta, a pre-law fraternity at CMU, participate in a Mock Trial, Feb. 26 at the Isabella County Trial Court. 

Standing before the jury, Judge William Ervin calls the court to order.

Today’s case follows that of Dominique Stevens, a woman who has shot and murdered her husband following five years of domestic violence. The room is still as first witness is called to the stand, then the next, and the next.

Stevens sits next to her lawyer, not meeting the eyes of her peers.

While the names and the events unfolding before Ervin’s eyes are scripted by CMU legal fraternity Phi Alpha Delta, he treats the individuals before him no differently than he would a normal case.

“The jury is an important part of this court,” Ervin said. “The right to a jury trial is an ancient tradition.”

And although PAD’s mock trials are a little less than ancient, having taken place “off and on” at Isabella County Courthouse for the last 20 years, they are no less important.

Advisor for the legal fraternity, John Meixner, says that the mock trials are what allows for students within PAD to gain real world experience and learn what it means to be a lawyer.

“For the last three years there has been (a mock trial) every semester,” Meixner said. “Very little of what you do as a lawyer is in a court room (though) so I would rather (the students) spend more time working on their logic and their English and things like that, but this (experience) is good for the students.”

Put by the Committee of Professional Enrichment, the mock trial will typically cover some type of controversial issue and place two members of PAD as opposing lawyers and witnesses.

When finished, the jury – comprised completely of non-PAD members to avoid bias – deliberates before coming to a conclusion, just like in any other trial.

Austin Blessing, a chairman in the Committee of Professional Enrichment, believes that the knowledge learned through mock trial is capable of being implemented in an individual’s law career later in life.

“It’s a fun, light environment for everyone to get to see what it’s like to be a lawyer,” Blessing said. “(The trial is put on) to gain experience and to help make up your mind as to whether or not you actually want to be a lawyer.”

All students are allowed to attend the mock trials put on by the committee.

Individuals interested in joining Phi Alpha Delta can contact Meixner via email at John.Meixner@cmich.edu.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →