Women’s hoops lineup continues to change, freshmen stepping up

gc_bb40_copy
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer The women's basketball team rallies before a matchup against Western Michigan Saturday at McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas defeated the Broncos, 63-51.

At the beginning of the season, Central Michigan University women’s basketball coach Sue Guevara didn’t plan on having to switch her lineup nearly her every game.

Due to several injuries this season, Guevara has been forced to mix up her starting lineup, in an attempt to find the best possible scenario for the Chippewas to succeed.

Throughout the season, CMU has featured eight different starting lineups ranging from a senior-dominated roster, to as many as three freshmen on the court at the tip-off.

Guevara said this year’s team has become accustomed to the constant changes.

“Obviously with the injuries we’ve had, I’ve had to plug in different people,” said Guevara. “I think the team has gotten used to it.”

CMU’s opponent on any given day dictates who will start for the Chippewas, Guevara explained.

“The starting lineup may change based on who we are playing,” Guevara said.

Freshmen like Cassandra Breen and Amani Corley have been asked to contribute quicker than they expected. Guevara said the young players know how they can improve during the extra time on the court.

“Especially for the younger kids, they understand that how they practice determines whether or not they’re going to get a start or not,” Guevara said.

Senior Crystal Bradford, who has missed time due to injury, said making adjustments is crucial to any team, no matter the situation.

“It has changed it up,” Bradford said. “People just have to get used to playing with each other.”

Bradford said she has some sympathy for the rookies.

“It’s more adversity than an advantage,” she said. “They’re just thrown into the battlefield, and they don’t know what’s going on. It’s kind of like we forget their only freshmen.”

Though Guevara said it is natural for any player to want to get a start regardless of class or age, the “bigger picture” remains the most important thing.

“Most players would love to have their names called,” Guevara said. “But I always tell them, ‘it doesn’t matter who starts, are you going to be on the floor at the finish?’ It’s all about finishers, not so much starters, but finishers.”