COLUMN: What does it mean to be “Borrelli Built?”

opinion

“Focused, motivated and willing to sacrifice everything you have.” That was the answer sophomore Jordan Wohlfert gave me when I asked what it meant to be “Borrelli Built.”

It’s a phrase that has been around since the late 2000s according to Central Michigan University assistant coach and former wrestler Ben Bennett.

In his 22 years at CMU, Head Coach Tom Borrelli has claimed 16 Mid-American Conference titles, coached six MAC Wrestler of the Year honorees and guided 23 All-Americans.

Being “Borrelli Built” is not just about how you perform on the mat, the Chippewas say.

To Bennett, that expression symbolizes a lifestyle.

“Working hard, doing the right things, representing yourself the right way,” Bennett explained. “It’s not just wrestling, it’s about the rest of your life.”

It seems being “Borrelli Built” also incorporates a bit of humility.

Ask any wrestler what it means; they’ll talk about hard work and sacrifice. It's not about glory and championships.

Ask Borrelli, and you can see where the Chippewas learned their modesty.

“I don’t know what that means,” Borrelli said. “Maybe it means to have influence on these guys in a positive manner.”

CMU wrestling has a reputation of always being near the top of the standings and always playing against the best competition.

Borrelli has made success the norm since joining CMU.

He has built a dynasty, a program that expects excellence and a constantly strives for.

What does it mean to be “Borrelli Built?”

Maybe it’s not so much about an athlete or a coach. Perhaps it’s more about a program.

A program that has been “Borrelli Built” from the ground up.