Wrestling wins big in Edinboro, claims two first-place finishes

wrestling
Junior Zach Horan takes down his opponent Tyler Small from Kent State, Sunday, Feb. 1 at McGuirk Arena. CMU defeated Kent State 19-13.

The Edinboro Open proved to be a successful tournament for the Central Michigan University wrestling team.  Two Chippewas wrestlers placed first, while seven placed in the top six in their weight class.

Atop the leader board in the 165-pound weight class was CMU sophomore Jordan Wohlfert.  Winning all four matches to place first, Wohlfert  upset University of Missouri senior Mikey England in the final round.  

CMU Freshman Newton Smerchek came in first for CMU as a heavyweight.  Smerchek competed in the final round against Conan Jennings, a freshman from NorthWestern University.  Jennings recorded the takedown and won the match 2-0.

Smerchek has been impressing Head Coach Tom Borrelli lately, who said last week that his young heavyweight was the most improved player on the roster this season.

Saturday's wins will help CMU’s chances of a earning a first round spot in the NCAA tournament this year.  To be eligible for that spot, a team must win 66 percent of its meets.   

CMU freshman Justin Oliver, who has not competed in a duel meet this season, placed third in at 149-pound weight class.  Redshirt freshman Jordan Ellingwood, who came into Edinboro with a 4-2 record in tournaments this season, placed third in the 174-pound weight class.

CMU sent 17 wrestlers to the tournament.  Among those who did not compete were Mid-American Conference ranked Zach Horan (No.1), Tyler Keselring (No. 4) and Colin Hefferenan (No. 4)

The Chippewas face Old Dominion at 2 p.m. on Sunday at McGuirk Arena.