Man of the Year: Head basketball Coach Davis reflects on MAC Coach of the Year honor, 2014-15 season

keno2
Coach Keno Davis

An unexpected and impressive run during the 2014-15 Central Michigan University men’s basketball season helped Head Coach Keno Davis earn the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year Award on March 11.

The Chippewas qualified for the MAC Championship Game and lost only one home game this season.

Now in his third year at CMU, Davis discussed the 2014-15 year and what the conference’s top honor means to him.

What are some differences between when you when you were conference coach of the year in 2008 and now in 2015?

To get that honor as a coach, you have to have a lot of success. You have to have the right team assembled. It helps to exceed expectations. We worked just as hard the past couple of years as a staff but it’s the culmination of those couple years. (Last season) I think we made a big step in the right direction of this program.”

What individual improvements are you hoping for your team to make over the summer?

You’re looking at strength and conditioning. The offseason is where guys can really improve their conditioning, improve their athleticism, improve their strength. With the bulk of our team returning, individual improvement is going to be important. It’s not going to be a year where we bring in a bunch of players that are expected to come in and make a big impact right away. We’re looking for our guys to continue to work and develop their own game.

What’s the ceiling for this team next year?

We were a team this year that could compete with anybody and beat anybody on our schedule on any given night. Being able to project to the postseason is a realistic goal whether you’re in the NCAA or the NIT. I would like each and every year to feel like we’re in a position with the program to play in the postseason. When you continually do that, you’re going to have your share of success.

How does the non-conference scheduling work?

It is often one-year deals with programs, sometimes two-years. We’ll be going to Grand Canyon to return that game with Coach (Dan) Majerle on the two-year deal. McNeese State (University) was a two-year deal with us going down there (this year) and them returning (to McGuirk Arena next year). We thought our schedule this year was ideal for a young group that hadn’t had success to be able to experience some of that and play competition that we’d have a chance to come out victorious in and we were able to do that and we were able to carry that momentum over to the conference.”

This season you said the goal was to play a lot of home games, but is playing top NCAA teams more of a priority for next year?

We want to continue to build upon what we’ve done with the home-court schedule. The idea of playing tougher teams would be what we want to do, but because of our success, we’re going to have to play tougher teams. That’s going to take care of itself.

Does Chris Fowler have any NBA potential?

That’s a good question. I think Chris could do just about anything he wants to do. If somebody told him he couldn’t do it, I think he’d find a way to do it. Whether a pro career is something he wants to pursue, whether it’s coaching—I know he’s talked about that—whether he follows his theater major or anything else, I wouldn’t bet against him.

Can CMU ever make it to the level of strong mid-major teams like Wichita State, Butler University or Gonzaga University?

I don’t know. That’s something on the horizon. If you’re consistently one of those top teams in your conference, then you look at what can you do to get to another level. To be able to do that, the financial support. You need a lot of other things. I hope we get to the point where we can talk about that. Right now, it’s just trying to get to the consistent level where we can compete each year and have not just winning seasons.”

How do you handle this year’s success when people come up to you and ask why you aren’t moving on to the Big Ten or another bigger conference?

With this profession, they’re either asking you why you’re not going to a higher level or they’re wanting you fired. There’s very little middle ground. I’m just appreciative that I’m on the other end of the spectrum. Those questions are easier to handle. I think when you start looking at other jobs and things like that, you lose focus of the job that you’re doing and getting paid to do. I’m very appreciative to be able to be here in Mount Pleasant.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →