Library reducing subscriptions to academic Journals and databases

library

Central Michigan University students spend time studying on March 2 in the Park Library.

Central Michigan University is reducing subscriptions to academic journals and databases by $372,000 for the library's 2015-2016 fiscal year.

The University Libraries, contained within the Charles V. Park Library building, is planing to let go of about 10 percent of the university's journal subscriptions, partially to account for a six-percent cost increase each year. 

The reduction for University Libraries is being overseen by the Collection Development Department. 

"The bulk of our library allocation is designated for serials (which are) journals and databases," said Thomas Moore, dean of libraries. "We have to be sure not only that we have enough money this year to pay the bill, but we have to always be looking ahead."

Some journal subscriptions can cost $200, othes can cost $2,000. The academic journals to be dropped are narrowed down by subject librarians and departmental faculty. The faculty and librarians look for under-used, higher-cost journals to cut. The decisions must be made by April 24.

"We have a number of subject librarians who coordinate with faculty in each of the departments," said Kathy Irwin, associate dean of libraries. "They will be looking at the list of serials that are subscribed to for each of those departments and have to make a decision."

The library can still get items for a lesser cost from an inter-library service called "Documents on Demand." The service can also scan and provide students with currently-owned library articles and portions of electronic books. 

According to CMU's operating budget, the University Libraries' budget is $4 million for 2014-2015. Moore said it is typical for the department's annual budget. 

The library's base-budget was increased by $100,000 by Provost Michael Gealt to purchase books, databases and journals. The increase is a one-time allocation.

The increase is not enough to address the projected increase in costs for the serial subscriptions Moore said. The decision was made to decrease funds for academic journal subscriptions.

"We heard in January what our university (acquisition base) budget is going to be for the next fiscal year beginning in July (including a $100,000 increase)," Moore said. "We looked at what we are going to have and we looked at our estimate of our costs for library journals and databases. As a consequence, we announced we are going to have to make some choices about things we won't be buying."

Another 6.5 percent reduction in serials could be made for the 2016-2017 year, amounting to $242,000. Moore said they don't want to have to cut any more after next year if they do not have to.

"We always want to buy the right resources to meet the needs of students and faculty," Irwin said. "We are always changing what we are subscribing (to)."

The changes will also affect Global Campus students and faculty. 

The Park Library Building also contains the Clark Historical Library, the acquisitions of which are exclusively funded through donations. It will see no reductions.