St. Patrick's Day activity leads to increase in alcohol-related incidents on campus

main_patty
Officers and paramedics prepare the stretcher for a student who needed assistance on March 17, at

Although some university officials say Tuesday was not as eventful as other St. Patrick's Day celebrations, the holiday ended with at least 10 on-campus cases of students treated for alcohol poisoning and several arrests. 

Social media erupted with images and status updates of students attending class or being on campus intoxicated on Tuesday. Central Michigan University Police Department was dispatched to 27 different incidents.

By the end of the day, 10 students were removed from campus by ambulance because of alcohol poisoning. Seven minor in possession citations were issued, three students were arrested for MIP violations and four were arrested for disorderly conduct. There also was one arrest for drunken driving and another for possession of marijuana. A student was arrested on a warrant from another department. All of these incidents occurred on campus.

Director of Student Conduct Tom Idema emphasized drinking alcohol to excess is not condoned by the university.

"We take seriously the risks of drinking and its effects on academic performance and the lives of individual students, their roommates, visitors and the campus and Mount Pleasant communities," Idema said. "We will remain vigilant in our efforts to address this issue."

According to CMU's policy on alcohol use, there are a few designated places on campus where alcohol consumption is permitted. In the Bovee University Center, alcohol use is restricted to the alcoholic beverage services offered by the university through its liquor license and other specific guidelines. Persons may not bring alcohol into the UC for possession, service or consumption, except as authorized by the university.

Students are not permitted to bring or consume alcohol on campus, unless they are 21 years or older and consume it in a residence hall room, or another person's who is also of age, and present in the room.

Residence halls reported an increase in St. Patrick's Day activity within the past two years, with six alcohol-related transports of students to the hospital. 

Associate Director of Residence Life Michelle Veith said the weather and day of the week usually contribute to the amount of activity. She said some Residence Hall Directors attributed the extra activity to the combination of the holiday and Pint Night at Wayside Central.

"Most (incidents) were typical alcohol situations where people were being loud, which results in our staff responding and addressing situations accordingly," Veith said. 

Veith highlighted one situation in particular regarding a woman who was not a student getting kicked out of a local bar and put in a cab. She said the person was dropped off at a residence hall and the staff was able to get her the appropriate help. The person was transported to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

"Had our students not gotten her help, she could have died," Veith said. "I would like to thank whoever they were for looking out for others and doing something when they saw someone needed help."

Veith said if a student is intoxicated to the point of needing medical attention, residence hall staff call 911 and gather information while waiting for the CMUPD and medical assistance to arrive. 

"When the student returns, we will require them to meet for an educational session with one of our counselor's in residence to process the situation with the hope that the student has more information and will be able to make better choices to keep themselves safe in the future," she said. "This is educational and not punitive."

Despite CMU's on-campus alcohol policy, posts on Yik Yak, Facebook and Twitter showed many students drinking during their classes.

Over the past decade, the trend of consuming alcohol while navigating campus or attending class while intoxicated has become the norm for students on St. Patrick's Day. 

"There was a kid in the UC that fell out of a chair because he was drunk," said Bullock Creek junior Cody Richardson. "No one even looked up from what they were doing as he was trying to eat a sandwich and yelling on the phone."

Plymouth senior Jim Lahey was attending class when he heard word of a student being removed from Moore Hall in an ambulance.

"Someone said they saw a kid getting arrested in Moore, and that kind of sidetracked the whole class," Lahey said. "We just ended up laughing about it."

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →