Discussion forum digs deep on societal drug issues

Students and Faculty Debate Marijuana Legalization and Federal Drug War consequences on society

img_2576

New Baltimore sophomore Victoria Dennis (center) speaks with panel members Perry senior Lisa Conine (left) and Plymouth senior Brian McCollom during the Speak Up Speak Out Forum "This Panel Is On Drugs" on March 23 in the University Park Library.

Speak Up, Speak Out's last forum for the year "This Panel is on Drugs" provided audience members with a opportunity to speak about the impact of legalizing marijuana.

The forum also discussed medical marijuana, high incarceration rates, drug tests, and addiction. Panelists and audience members expressed frustration with societal oppression of those incarcerated for non-violent drug violations and how race is associated with drug use.

"What we need in this country is a shift from a mindset of treating people as criminals to a paradigm of treating drug addiction as a health issue," said Panelist Liz Bradshaw, professor of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work. 

The panel's general consensus was that marijuana legalization will be beneficial to Michigan's economy and not detrimental to society. The event was Monday in the library auditorium and consisted of three Central Michigan University students and two faculty members.

"(With) alcohol, (after) seven days of binge-drinking your blood is so thin (that) if you don't seek treatment it will coagulate and you will die of a coronary heart attack," panelist Brian McCollum said. "Cannabis, never heard of it. There are lot's of dangerous substances out there but (alcohol) is the only one that's legal."

Economics professor Sam Raisanen referenced Colorado's 2012 legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes as an example of how marijuana legalization would not have a negative affect on society. 

According to the Huffington Post, Colorado marijuana taxes brought in more than $40 million in revenue by October of 2014, mostly used in "youth prevention efforts." Underage usage had slight decline one year after legalization, and Colorado experienced "near historic lows" in traffic fatalities for 2013.

Gwyn Richard went to the forum because of an interest in drug law and how the issue of legalization is pursued. She was previously a student of criminal law. 

"One thing I found interesting was the video shown on the use of medicinal ecstasy in treating PTSD," the Rose Point Woods senior said. "My mother works for the Department of Veterans Affairs and I had heard her speak about how they use marijuana to treat pain disorders in veterans, so that interested me."