Taco Boy pursues charges of false police report against former employee

Mount Pleasant Police Department is investigating an allegation made by a former employee of Taco Boy said the owner assaulted her.

The woman filed a complaint with police about her manager at Taco Boy, stating he, "shoved me and pulled my hair."

MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Browne said the police have conducted an investigation.

"No one who we interviewed gave us a story that matched the employee's," Browne said.

Taco Boy employees told police the woman became angry when asked to clean the dishes, and left the restaurant. 

Under Michigan law, if a person is found to have filed a false police report, a sentence can be up to the maximum sentence for the crime they alleged. If the employee is found guilty of filing a false report, she would face a 93-day misdemeanor charge and a $500 fine.

The reports have all been sent to the Isabella County Prosecutor's office, who will decide if she will be charged. Taco Boy has decided not to pursue the issue in civil court.

The employee's story has been widely circulated on social media and has led to increased support for the "Boycott Taco Boy" Facebook page. 

Jennifer Koons, another manager at Taco Boy who was not involved in the alleged incidents, said she is grateful for the loyalty of her customers during this time.

"I was very proud and I felt like a special part of the Mount Pleasant community when I saw how many people came in to show support at our restaurant, and to defend us online," Koons said. "We're a family owned, family oriented business, and right now, our community is treating us like family."