Horan, Heffernan advance to second round of NCAA Wrestling Championships

horan2

Senior Zach Horan won his first-round match but fell in the second round of the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championships a year ago. 

Two Central Michigan University wrestlers advanced to the second round of the NCAA National Wrestling Championships, picking up victories in the tournament’s first round on Saturday in St. Louis, Mo.

Representing CMU in the tournament was junior Zach Horan and freshmen Colin Heffernan and Jordan Ellingwood.

Horan, ranked 10th in his weight class, wrestled against Mathew Kraus from Arizona State University in the first round and won 5-1 in the 141- pound weight class, recording two takedowns.

Horan will take on the University of Rutgers' Anthony Ashnault in the second round on Friday. Horan has four losses this season, one of them coming at the hands of Ashnault.

Heffernan was the second Chippewa to take the mats on Thursday in the 149-pound weight class. In the first round, Heffernan took down Iowa State University's Gabe Moreno 5-3 recording two takedowns. With his first round win, Heffernan earns a showdown with No. 8 Alexander Richardson from Old Dominion University on Friday.

In the 174-pound weight class, Ellingwood lost by major decision 14-5 to the University of Virginia's Blaise Butler. Ellingwood drops to the tournament’s consolation bracket, where he will face Jadaen Bernstein of Navy.

The tournament resumes Friday at 10 a.m.