Annual Crown Classic 5k raises more than $18,000 before opening day race

2_5k

Members of Zeta Tau Alpha cheer on runners at the Zeta Tau Alpha Crown Classic 5k. 

Zeta Tau Alpha members cheered and hugged as more than 150 runners crossed the finish line drawn in pink and blue chalk. 

The 20th annual Crown Classic 5K raised more than $18,000 for breast cancer awareness and education before race day, money was also raised during the event on Sunday. 

"We usually raise about $10,000 on race day as well," said Janelle McLaughlin, fraternity president and Montcalm junior.

The Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity is the highest fundraising fraternity and RSO on campus, she said. McLaughlin said the Annual Crown Classic 5K is their highest grossing event of the year.

"A lot of (fraternities) get into this," McLaughlin said. "We have an overall fraternity winner."

Trophies with pink breast cancer flags were given to the sorority and fraternity represented by the most participants, as well as the fastest male and female runners. 

Holland Sophomore Eve Parker came to run with a friend, and said they found out about the 5K from another friend that is a ZTA member.

"Last year we did this event and we had a lot of fun running it," Parker said. "It goes to a good cause; I have an aunt who had breast cancer."

A silent auction was held with 26 gift baskets worth about $2,000 at the Rose Center. Baskets were donated by ZTA members, their families, CMU faculty and staff, and local businesses. 

Rochester junior and ZTA Philanthropy Chair Elizabeth LaLonde said making baskets was a lot of fun.

"A lot of the girls did outdoor ones like s'more baskets," LaLonde said. "Someone's doing a Tiger ticket basket and we have spa baskets."

Donation opportunities were available as well. Those attending the event received a "real men wear pink" t-shirt for their donation.

There was a moment of silence after the race for those who have passed away from breast cancer. This year the Recreation, Events and Conferences Office did not allow the fraternity to release balloons into the sky following the moment of silence.

Zeta Tau Alpha's partners in philanthropy are the NFL, American Cancer Society and Bright Pink, an educational group for breast cancer. LaLonde said the fraternity's goal this year is to raise $25,000. 

"Each girl will try to raise an individual goal and then we work as hard as we can to help each member reach it so we can reach it as a chapter," she said.