Regnier brothers power baseball to 7-2 win over Buffalo

Members of Central Michigan University baseball team place their hats over their hearts as the national anthem is sung. 

A near-flawless performance from reliever-turned-starter Sean Renzi along with a Regnier-powered Chippewa offense led Central Michigan University baseball to a 7-2 win Saturday against the University at Buffalo.

Renzi (2-1, 2.27 ERA) didn’t allow a hit until the sixth inning, which was only the third baserunner of the day for the Bulls.

The junior from Plainfield, Ill. finished his second start of the year going six innings, allowing one hit, three walks and no runs.

“I thought Renzi threw a hell of a ballgame,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “The guys behind him did a nice job of being defensively solid. Those are the staples. Then we scored some runs.”

Junior outfielder Logan Regnier and senior outfielder Nick Regnier combined for all of CMU’s RBI’s. The brothers combined for two runs and four hits including a double and a triple.

“We needed every single run we could get because that team was only a swing away from getting right back into the game,” Jaksa said. “Credit our guys for how we competed today too, we were up for the task.”

The Chippewas are 26-13 and 11-3 in the Mid-American Conference after the victory. They haven’t lost back-to-back MAC games all season.

Buffalo threatened in the sixth and eighth innings, loading the bases both times but scoring zero runs. Junior pitcher Jimmy McNamara came on in the ninth inning for CMU, allowing Buffalo to score its first two runs of the game.

CMU and Buffalo will play tomorrow at 1 p.m. to decide the weekend series.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →