Baseball clinches series against EMU with 18-3 victory

Senior infielder Pat McKenzie leads off third base as Logan Regnier bats against Eastern Michigan Friday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas allowed no runs through the sixth inning, defeating the Eagles, 16-6 and would win again Saturday 18-3.

A packed Theunissen Stadium crowd watched as Central Michigan University baseball took its fourth consecutive conference series with an 18-3 win over Eastern Michigan Saturday.

Junior pitcher Sean Renzi (1-1, 2.81 ERA) started on the mound for the Chippewas for the first time in his career. He picked up the win going six innings while giving up two hits and two runs to go with six strikeouts and four walks.

Head Coach Steve Jaksa said Renzi looked good in his first start despite struggling early to find the strike-zone.

“(Renzi's) first two pitches of the game were strikes and then he walked a couple guys and then he got back into a good flow,” Jaksa said. “We exploded offensively, which maybe helped him a little bit. He was really good. His stuff is really good. He doesn't really lose velocity.”

Sophomore center fielder Alex Borglin led all Chippewas in runs (5) and hits (4) while senior second baseman Pat MacKenzie finished with five runs batted in.

MacKenzie also had three hits and score three runs.

The Chippewas finished with 20 hits, surpassing their previous season high of 18 which was set Friday against the Eagles. A season high was also set in runs scored.

“I thought we swung the bat pretty well,” Jaksa said. “We as a coaching staff thought (Jake Andrews) was their best starting pitcher of the three."

Andrews was hit in the face by a line drive in the third inning. He would walk off the field under his own power, ending his afternoon.

CMU (23-12, 9-2 Mid-American Conference) has now outscored its opponent 60-14 in its last four games.

Senior center fielder Nick Regnier saw his first game action since March 29 against Miami (OH) when he pinch-hit in the eighth inning.

Borglin drew a walk to lead off the game, which was followed by a single from MacKenzie.

MacKenzie said he cannot remember a time in his CMU career where the team has been this successful offensively over a four-game span.

“I was thinking about it while I was raking the field,” MacKenzie said. “All the years I’ve been here I can’t remember if we’ve done this. It’s a lot of fun.”

A walk to senior catcher Tyler Huntey loaded the bases for CMU.

Junior right fielder Logan Regnier took advantage, singling to right field driving in two runs and advancing Huntey to third with no outs.

Huntey scored from third base making it 3-1 CMU after junior third baseman Joe Houlihan singled to right field.

MacKenzie said he’s feeling really good at the plate right now, which has led to his success driving in runs and getting on base.

“I would say I’m seeing the ball pretty well right now,” MacKenzie said. “The biggest thing is getting a good one to hit and not missing. Not over-swinging is another thing that is important. “

“We were able to hit the ball really well on (Andrews) early and just wore him down,” Jaksa said. “They didn't want to go to their bullpen but they didn't have any choice.

Junior Zack Fields hit a home run to left center field making it 10-1 in the second inning.

Houlihan also had a home run for CMU, blasting a pitch to left field which would score three runs, making it a 14-1 CMU lead after three innings.

Junior pitcher Connor Kelly relieved Renzi in the seventh inning.

The Chippewas will look for the series sweep at 1:05 p.m. tomorrow. Junior Adam Aldred (2-1, 3.79 ERA) will start for CMU.