COLUMN: Goodbye CMU

I came to Central Michigan University five years ago with aspirations of becoming a better writer and hopefully landing a full-time job after graduation.

As an 18-year-old, the idea that someday I would be working full-time seemed worlds away.

I am now 23 and I start working full-time next month.

I’ve worked for Central Michigan Life since the fall semester of my freshman year in 2010.

I jumped right in. It was the best decision I have ever made.

The people and friends I have made over the years has been the most important part of my journey at CMU.

Relationships have been established and for that I am very grateful. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to a favorite memory.

There have been too many to count or even begin to explain here.

Working with some of the best writers to ever walk this campus has been the biggest gift and reward.

If you want to be a great writer you have to listen. Not too many people do that anymore with all this new technology.

Sure, journalism is an ever-evolving world, but one thing remains the same.

It’s about people and their stories.

I have listened, observed and written to the best of my ability articles that best described what I heard and what I saw.

I want to thank all my fellow editors and reporters who I have worked with over the years. You know who you are, thank you.

Like I said, hard work really does pay off. It’s not a cliché.

Next month I will be moving to Lakeland, Fl.

While there I will be working for The Ledger as a city reporter.

It’s going to be a challenge, of course. We all know, in this field that is the only way to get better.

Accept a challenge and don't ever stay in your comfort zone. Expand your horizons and opportunities will be there for you.

I’m excited for the opportunity and I couldn't be more blessed and lucky than I am today.

For all those young journalists that may be reading this right now:

Take advantage of every opportunity you have and write…a lot.

Allow yourself to meet new people and put your phones and tablets down for a few minutes and just listen.

Ask a few questions and become engaged. That is how you begin the process of becoming a great journalist.

Everything must come to an end. When one door closes another door opens. It’s true.

CM Life will always have a special place in my life. It’s done so much for me.

Now what seemed worlds away five years ago is here. I leave CMU a better person and a better writer.

I guess this is it.