Greeks battle for a good cause

greek_2
Members of the sorority Alpha Chi Omega and fraternity Sigma Pi compete in a tug-of-war competition during the Greek Week Athletic Games on April 14 in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan University’s Greek community took over McGuirk Arena Tuesday as they put their skills to the test in the Greek Week athletic games.

Eleven teams competed against one another in a relay race, tug of war, lightning and dodgeball games.

Alex Iovan, Sigma Chi member and Greek Week representative said the athletic games is one of the most exciting events of the week.

“It’s one of the most fun moments of the week just because everyone is going nuts," Iovan said. "Everyone is having a good time. It’s always my favorite event.”

Sigma Kappa member and Greek Week coordinator Megan Isabell said all the participants were good sports—win or lose.

“Even though some of the teams got knocked out, their enthusiasm was still there for each other,” Isabell said. “I think they supported each other well. No one was poor sports about anything. We are here for Angel Wings.”

Karly Wilczewski, a freshman Sigma Kappa member, said she enjoyed the games and the competitiveness, but Angel Wings Fund is the main focus of the week.

“It means a lot for Angel Wings that everyone is here together right now," Wilczewski said. "It’s really good getting the Greek community all together as one. It’s once a year so it really means a lot to all of us.” 

The top eight winning pairs from the relay race advanced to the tug of war.

From there, the top five teams advanced to the game of lightning.

The last two teams standing after the game of lightning earned the floor for a dodgeball match, which required a sudden death match to produce a winner.

Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Sigma Tau and Zeta Phi Beta claimed overall victory of the games, earning 100 points.

Phi Kappa Tau, Alpha Sigma Alpha and Alpha Phi Alpha took second earning 80 points.

Tau Kappa Epsilon, Zeta Tau Alpha and Sigma Gamma Rho came in third earning 60 points.

Phi Sigma Phi, Sigma Kappa and Phi Beta Sigma and Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Kappa Alpha Psi took fourth and fifth place earning 40 points each.

The remaining six pairs receive 20 participation points.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →