Greeks prep for Mock Rock competition

2_greek
Central Michigan University students pass out informational pamphlets on Breast Cancer during the Greek Week Day of Service on April 16 across campus.

Greek Week 2015 will come to an end with a Mock Rock competition at 6 p.m. in McGuirk Arena. 

After the Mock Rock winning team is announced, points will be tallied and the Greek Week winners will be announced along with the amount raised for Angel Wings Fund. 

The Greek community has participated in events throughout the week in effort to raise awareness and money for charity. 

Yesterday, fraternities and sororities gathered in the Bovee University Center for the first Greek Week Service Day event, replacing traditional academic games seen in previous years. 

Phi Kappa Tau Greek Week Coordinator Anthony Cavataio said the purpose of the change is to bring the week closer to one of the Greek community's six pillars guiding values for the organizations.

"This year we wanted to gear Greek Week more toward service and philanthropy," said the Shelby Township junior. "We didn't see anything wrong with (the academic games), we really just wanted to switch things up and give the community something new rather than the repetition we have seen in years past."

Four service activities were planned by the Greek Week committee: Safer Sex Patrol kit stuffings, letters to veterans, notes of positivity and breast cancer pamphlets. At least 50 percent of each Greek chapter was required to participate in the activities for one hour, swiping in through the Lakeshore Room of the UC. 

Notes of positivity were written by volunteers in the Lakeshore Room, checked in another room to make sure messages were not inappropriate and later passed out by other groups volunteering on campus. 

Delta Zeta member Maggie Grant said she wrote about 20 encouraging notes to help get people through the day.

"It is the end of the semester and finals week kind of sucks, so stay positive. Those notes might just bring a smile to someone's face," said the Illinois sophomore. "I wrote 'It's almost Friday,' 'only a few more weeks until summer' and 'keep your head up.'" 

Other volunteers wrote letters of thanks to veterans. Farmington Hills senior and Phi Sigma Sigma member Caroline Powers, wrote to veterans thanking them for their time and service. She said the day's focus on serving the campus reflects the attitude of the Greek community as a whole.

Chesaning junior and Alpha Gamma Delta member Ally Adams passed out breast cancer pamphlets from 1 to 2 p.m. in the UC during a break in between her classes. She said the service activity was invigorating and fun, but many people had already received pamphlets when she started passing them out.

"It was a good feeling to educate students and faculty," Adams said. "A lot of people did (get them), I could see them sitting there with a pamphlet so then I just kept walking."

Cavataio said he was proud of the results for how the first service day turned out.

"I think people are having a really good time, you can see people smiling and laughing," Cavataio said. "It has been really cool to see all of our planning put into action."