Men’s basketball coach given new contract

img_9972

Head Coach Keno Davis discusses the Central Michigan University men's basketball team's Mid-American Conference Tournament on March 13 at Quicken Loans Arena.

The Central Michigan University Athletics Department announced the signing of men’s basketball Head Coach Keno Davis to a new five-year contract Thursday.

Davis’ new contract will pay him a base salary of $300,000, with another $100,000 for radio, television and promotional appearances.

In addition, Davis’ contract states that if CMU chooses to terminate Davis with four or more years remaining in the term of the contract, it is understood and agreed that Davis will receive a lump sum payment equal to $1,000,000.

“That type of commitment is what it takes to help programs continue to build,” said Athletics Director Dave Heeke. “Keno and his staff have done a tremendous job of building the program. It’s a good day for our university.”

Davis was grateful for the extension, which he said comes as a vote of confidence from Heeke.

“The salaries in athletics are what they are,” Davis said. “It was nice going into the offseason feeling like I was in a pretty good place. My relationship with the administration has been solid since day one. We had a conversation at the end of each season making sure we were in a good place with longevity.”

Heeke and Davis began negotiations on a new contract well before the 2014-15 season ended, Davis said.

The Chippewas finished 23-9 overall and qualified for the Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship Game for the first time since 2003.

Davis was named the 2014 MAC Coach of the Year and is entering his fourth season with the Chippewas.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →