Finals week, a walk in the park

The final great push of the school year is upon us and as the rigor and stress of final exams begin to diminish the sanity of many Central Michigan University students, it’s an excellent time to take an “exploration-study-break.”

A study led by University of Illinois psychology professor Alejandro Lleras showed that prolonged attention on one task hinders proficiency and performance.

Mount Pleasant offers a unique opportunity to get good and lost in nature when studying becomes too stressful.

With 11 parks, the Gregory K. Baderschneider Riverwalk Tail and large amounts of land along the banks of the Chippewa River, Mount Pleasant Director of Parks and Public Places Chris Bundy recommends students take time from studying and walk the city’s trail. This system has 12 pedestrian crossings that connect one park to the next.

“We are fortunate in that (the Chippewa River) is a really big plus. Five of our parks follow the river,” Bundy said.

Although Bundy said he has not seen any students drop a tube in for a lazy river ride, he said he has seen some kayakers and other water-recreationists utilizing the river.

Beverly Hills junior Kyle Simonte said he frequents Nelson Park for his homework and enjoyment needs.

“I really enjoy the parks,” Simonte said. “It’s cool that I can ride my bike through neighborhood on one side of town, enter the parks, take the trails and end up on the complete opposite side of town—downtown even.”

Contrary to popular belief, the Chippewa River will not send people straight to the hospital or turn their skin green, but precautions still should be taken.

Bundy said the large amount of farmland up-river raises concerns of E. coli after a large rain because the waste runs in.

“We have been working (on the and the Saginaw Chippewa tribe has done a lot to see how we can better alleviate the problem,” Bundy said. “If the water has unsafe levels then we post signs—usually at common drop-in points like Chipp-A-Waters Park.”

GKB Riverwalk Trail/Access Adventure Trail

Canal Street Neighborhood Park

902 Canal St.

Chipp-A-Waters Park
1403 W. High Street

Horizon Park

1535 Sweeney Street

Island Park, Skate Park and Spray Park

331 Main Street

Mill Pond Park

607 S. Adams Street

Mission Creek Woodland Park

1458 N. Harris Street

Nelson Park

714 W. Broadway Street

Pickens-Field

309 W. Pickard Avenue

Sunnyside Park

1511 Elm Street

Yost Park

206 S. Henry St. 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →