Knapp dominates Zips in shutout victory

img_7781

Sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp throws to a Ball State batter Saturday at Margo Jonker Stadium. The Chippwas fell to the Cardinals, 14-7.

Senior pitcher Rachael Knapp continued her strong season in the circle as she led Central Michigan University’s softball team to a 1-0 victory against the University of Akron Saturday.

Going the distance and earning the win, Knapp struck out 10 batters, walking only one. The St. Joseph native is 9-5 this season. Her nine wins leads CMU’s pitching staff.

Despite Knapp's solid complete-game outing, Head Coach Margo Jonker did not go as far as to say it was her best of the season.

“Rachael had a great performance today,” Jonker said. "When she came in relief against Detroit, that was probably the best she's thrown all year. But today she did a really good job."

Knapp was able to earn the win throwing 108 pitches.

After compiling 23 total hits in two games against the Ohio University Bobcats on Friday afternoon, the Chippewas offense was able to muster up a single hit on Saturday.

One run in the top of the first inning was all CMU would need to secure a victory against the Zips.

Freshman left fielder Lacy Tolfree scored the lone run for the Chippewas after reaching base on a walk in the top of the sixth inning. 

Tolfree proceeded to steal her 16th base of the season, advanced to third on a fielder's choice and scored on a sacrifice fly to right field by junior Katelyn Rentschler.

"Akron's pitcher was on today and Rachael was on today. "Both pitchers did a great job," Jonker said. "It was a great defensive game today compared to a great offensive day yesterday. That's fast-pitch softball--things change."

Tolfree also supplied the lone hit of the afternoon for CMU on a two-out double down the left-field line.

With the victory, CMU’s record now stands at 13-15 (3-2 in the Mid-American Conference) and it heads into Sunday riding a five-game winning streak.

"Today was a day that we won by creating runs," Jonker said. "I think we have more confidence. We're playing a lot better ball and I'm really proud of how the team is playing right now."

The Chippewas will finish their weekend road trip Sunday against Akron at 1 p.m. at Lee R. Jackson Field.