Softball's Knapp proving to be team's most valuable player

As the Central Michigan University softball team enters the meat of its conference schedule, one player has separated herself from the rest.

Sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp has proven she is possibly the Chippewas' most important player.

Knapp is the most experienced pitcher on the staff even though she is only a sophomore. She is joined by two freshmen and senior outfielder Kristen Kuhlman, who has only been called in to pitch once this season.

Knapp has pitched 104.2 of the 190 innings the team has played this season, which is good enough for 55 percent of the pitching load.

The second-most used pitcher is freshman Hanna Warren, who has worked through 51 innings.

This season Knapp has posted 11 complete games including five shutouts. Knapp gave up only 21 hits in these games, showing her dominance in the circle.

Knapp has also been very strong in relief. She has earned the team’s only save of the season when she came in during the fifth inning of a game against Detroit. Knapp pitched three hitless innings against Detroit, striking out nine of the 10 batters she faced.

Despite pitching more than half of her team’s innings, Knapp has allowed 48 runs, which is only five more than Warren.

The 5-7 St. Joseph native ranks near the top of the Mid-American Conference with a 2.06 earned run average and in opponent batting average with .201.

Knapp doesn’t allow a lot of contact and knows how to blow past batters. She has 117 strikeouts this season, while the next closest pitcher on the team has 19.

One of the few problems Knapp has had this year is walking batters. She has dished out 49 of the team’s 81 walks.

Maybe the most convincing statistic is Knapp’s record this season. She has won nine games this season and lost six. The other three players who have pitched this season are a combined 4-10.

As the Chippewas continue to grow closer to .500 on the season, Knapp will need to continue to give her team quality outings. 

If the most resent stretch of games is any sign of how she will be pitching in conference play, CMU will be in good hands when she is inside the circle.