Younger athletes build friendships and support systems through Special Olympics

potdsomi_10

Twins Jacob and Joshua meet their parents at the end of a rainbow tunnel. 

The Young Athletes Competition kicked off this morning in McGurick Arena as the 2015 Summer Special Olympics draws to an end. 

Parents were able to have their younger children participate in a variety of games and booths set up by volunteers. David and Lisa Warrner from Bay City brought their twins Jacob and Joshua to their third olympic games.  

"The special olympic games helps us meet parents who have children with similar situations," David said. "They both love coming here."

Some families said they build a larger support system through the games. Lisa said with family, friends and teachers their support system is strong. 

"Their teachers are actually their coaches for the games. I also love how they start the children so young," she said. "It really gives them the chance to get into the games and build their way up to the bigger games."

Older olympians like Vernon Hawely a 46-year-old from West Point have been participating in the special olympic games for more than 20 years. 

"I'm making a lot of friends here. It's going really well," Hawely said. "I've been coming to special olympics for 23 years now."

Like any game at an olympic event a crowd was in the stands cheering on the younger athletes. Volunteer Val Funnell from Mount Pleasant said this was her first time volunteering at the special olympic games. 

"I volunteered because I think it's such a great program," Funnell said. "One of my close friends is an assistant director of the games and she talked to me about it."