Main, Washington to be converted to two-way streets

img_0318

Main and Washington streets will be converted into two-way streets by Aug. 11.

Main and Washington streets will be converted into two-way streets by Aug. 11. 

City Engineer Stacie Tewari said the conversion was brought up at a 2010 Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting, but was tabled for financial reasons until it was approved in 2013. The city's main concern is slowing down traffic on those streets, she said.

"Narrower lanes and two-way streets will slow traffic down," she said. "Also, there was confusion because we do have drivers going the wrong way on those streets. Those are the only one-way streets we have in the city. They also provide a connection between campus and downtown."

The project will begin on July 20. The conversion includes on-street parking on one side of the street. Through the use of signage and arrows, bikes and cars will share the two 10-foot lanes.

In total, eight parking spaces will be lost during the conversion. Parking will be available on the same side of the street. 

The conversion will coordinate with the Michigan Department of Transportation's upgrade to the traffic signals and move of the islands on High Street. Tewari said the signals will work with the two-way streets. After the islands are removed, a button activated crossing countdown will be installed. 

During the project, garbage and recycling collection will continue as scheduled. Tewari said there may be temporary road closures, but workers don't anticipate any full detours during the conversion. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →