Alumnus works on sequel to graphic novel about Mount Pleasant

self_portrait

Alumnus Adam Talley created a self-portrait of him drawing. 

When Adam Talley's life changes faster than he can process, he deals with it by drawing himself as a character going through the same situation. 

That was the inspiration behind the graphic novel "Pleasant Life," a four-part series.  The 2004 alumnus created the novel while he attended Central Michigan University, and is working on a sequel to update his characters' lives, one of which is based on him. 

Though Talley, who majored in 2-D art and art history, has published other comics Pleasant Life is his "favorite child."

"There's a lot of me in that book," he said. "I wanted it to be a tribute to a time in my life where I was in between trying to figure out who I was and who I was growing into."

Reviews

On STARSLAM: 

"The characters are all very well-developed. You as the reader get the sense that each of them have a backstory and a personality. Personal depth is built throughout, not just of Starslam, but also of her co-heroes and even the villains. As you read, you really understand character motivation."

-Shawn Pfister, a reader 

On Anna Pocalypse: 

This grindhouse style story is over the top and not for the faint of heart. Adam spins an interesting story that asks, what will you do after the bombs drop?

-Geeklife podcast by Panda Manga

In the graphic novel, readers are able to spot landmarks from throughout Mount Pleasant, such as Soaring Eagle Casino, The Bird and the former Lil' Chef. Talley said he wanted readers to be able to relate to the setting.

The artist also wanted readers to relate to the characters and their lives. When he created himself, Talley said he was going through a difficult time in his life. He made his character face similar challenges.

"The first book was sparked by my mother dying," he said. "I was really open about how I felt about loss, anger and confusion. One of the main characters is also dealing with his mother's death."

When the sequel is published, Talley said the characters' lives would be updated, because time has also passed in their world. Talley's character has been through some difficult life events, which are mirrored after Talley's own life.

"Other stuff happened in my life the past few years that I felt like I needed to comment on," he said. "Comics are sometimes very therapeutic for me."

When Talley isn't working on "Pleasant Life," he's drawing up a sequel to another of his more popular novels, "Anna Pocalypse." The book focuses on Anna, a survivalist who shifts to a killing machine obsessed with seeking vengeance during a post-apocalypse. Talley also published an adult erotic novel called "STARSLAM."  

The ideas Talley is working on now won't be seen for three or four years because the process of completing an entire novel is a long one.

"I come up with an initial idea of what the story will be about," he said. "Then I focus on character motivation, an outline, environment and costume research, and then I go straight to the page. As I'm drawing, I think about the scene. I pencil and ink the whole thing and then digitally color it. Then I make the word balloons."  

When he's drawing each scene, Talley said he knows generally what will happen during that part of the novel, but he doesn't fully develop the dialogue. He usually writes down what the character might say in the margins of his drawings. 

Today, Talley works on trading card art for Marvel, DC, "The Walking Dead" and Star Wars. He is working on a set of trading cards for "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens" which will premiere in December. 

Though trading card art keeps him busy, Talley said he has more work to do.

"I want to keep getting people to read," he said. "I'm doing more freelance work. I want to get into novel publishing."

Since he was a kid, Talley was always drawing, though he didn't get into reading comic books until high school. At CMU, he joined the Comic Amateur Press Alliance, and was able to publish independent comics through the registered student organization.

Talley said some professors didn't understand his interest in comics, but others were supportive of his goals.

"I wish I could go back," he said. "Everyone I met (during college) really shaped who I am today. Their insights were very valuable to me."

To view or purchase Talley's work, visit his website.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →