Lavallii out for 2015 football season with injury

footballgallery_md_01
Meagan Dullack | Photo Editor Junior running back Saylor Lavallii dives as he is pulled down by the Syracuse defense Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Training camp begins today and the Chippewas are already down one offensive weapon. 

Senior running back Saylor Lavallii will miss the entire 2015 season with an injury and will serve as a student assistant on the team during his absence from the field. The nature of Lavallii's injury remains unclear at this time. 

Lavallii plans to claim a medical redshirt this fall in an attempt to preserve a year of eligibility. 

During 13 games last season, the Mason High School graduate carried the ball 73 times for 371 yards and four touchdowns. He averaged 22.9 yards per game last fall and finished as CMU's third leading rusher behind Thomas Rawls and Devon Spalding. 

The high point of Lavallii's 2014 season was during CMU's thrashing of Eastern Michigan during which he ran for 105 yards and two touchdowns. Lavallii was CMU's leading rusher during the 2013 season. 

Possible CMU starting running back candidates include Spalding, a sophomore, junior Martez Walker and sophomore Trevor Thomas. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →